Considering the height of a ship from the hull to the highest point of the ship, it is essential to know or have a basic knowledge before carrying out any work that requires climbing or any work that requires you to stay above the deck with a stage or ladder.
Working Aloft simply means working or carrying out a job on heights. This kind of work can be on the ship’s mast, superstructure, crane, ships side (overside), etc.
ACCIDENT THAT CAN HAPPEN WHEN WORKING ALOFT
The major accident that can happen while working aloft is Falling.
- Falling of the worker overboard or on deck.
- Falling of the working tools or materials that is been used for the work.
SAFETY MEASURES BEFORE WORKING ALOFT
- Risk Assessment: proper risk assessment must carryout to point out potential dangers that may cause accidents.
- Work Permit: Before carrying out any job aloft ensure sure a working permit signed by all parties involved. If the job last for more than 24 hours a new work permit must be issued.
- Tool Box Meeting: job to be done should be discussed and understood by all the parties involved before working aloft.
Safety Precautions To Be Taken Before And When Working Aloft
When Working On Ship Side;
- Throw life buoy overboard at the side of the ship where the work is been carried out
- Lanyard must be secured properly and must not be too slacked but can extend to allow the person work easily.
- Life vest must be worn
When Working On Mast;
- Radar must be switched off
When Using a Ladder or Stage;
- It must be properly secured
Other safety precautions;
- There must be a stand by person
- Proper communication must be maintained
- Proper PPE must worn
- Make sure the weather is safe for the job including the wind direction must be checked
- Working area must be restricted
- Safety harness must be worn
- Never throw a tool down, all tools must be lowered or taken up by putting them in a bag or bucket with a rope.
Working aloft can be very dangerous before of the risk of falling that is why safety is paramount and competent hands must carry out the job.